Satellite
  • Day 10

    Day 8 - Saved by public transport

    May 19, 2016 in Sweden ⋅ 🌙 4 °C

    Day 1 in Sweden got off to a rather shakey start,as we left town following our route only to find the only path was a dual carriageway with 110 km speed limits. Worse still, the rain that weather reports warned us about proved to be depressingly accurate. It wasn't long before we were cycling in heavy rain, along the side of a major highway, being frequently overtaken (and sprayed) by dual-carriage lorries.

    We kept our heads down and cycled in close formation, to protect ourselves from traffic, for most of our 30km journey to the first stop in Sangis. Arriving at the Swedish equivalent of a motorway service station, where we ordered a burger and spread our wet clothes across the tables.

    In minimal clothing (practically underwear), we sat eating, taking advantage of free coffee refills and trying to make plans for the rest of the ride. Fortunately the options was still available to catch a bus, so we opted to skip some motorway and once again try to get our bikes on a bus - this time to Lulea.

    It was a great relief to find that not only could we pack our bikes onto the local bus (from a bus stop), but the Swedish busses are extremely well kitted out. They are essentially Coach-Lorry hybrids, with plenty of room for bikes and comfortable seating and even room for male and female toilets on-board.

    2.5 hours later and we were cycling through Lulea, via scenic woodland trails, to a camp ground on the picturesque coastline. Sunny weather tomorrow should mean that we get back to proper riding, on something more satisfying than a highway.
    Read more