Satellite
  • Day 18

    Day 16 - Engl(ish) Country Ride

    May 27, 2016 in Sweden ⋅ ⛅ 7 °C

    With a shorter day planned that allowed time for us to take advantage of a hotel breakfast and get our bikes re-build and fixed up (as well as more clothes to be hand-washed) we set off in the late afternoon for a 40km ride to Falkoping.

    (This was after stopping in the hotel corridor to have our photos taken by guests and hotel staff - it seems taking on a foolish and ill-planned journey turns you into a local celebrity)

    In spite of the rain, that chased us out of Skovde and drove our pace, this was one of the best rides yet. Most of the journey was gently rolling countryside that strongly resembled rural England (or Wales, even), complete with dry stone walls, ploughed fields and farm houses.

    It was all quite gentle and easy to take in until we reached Falkoping, and realised our campsite was actually a ski resort that takes summer guests. So the final 4km was a steep mountain climb to reach the peak overlooking the town and much of our route for the next day.

    It was nice to have the challenge (no climb has beaten me yet!), and we arrived earlier enough to pitch tents, play some mini golf and enjoy some free drinks from yet another generous camp manager.
    Read more