Satellite
  • Day 23

    Day 20 - Lunch in sun, Dinner in storms

    June 1, 2016 in Sweden ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    So we awoke in our bug-infested, abandoned campsite and didn't waster any time getting our tents packed so we could move to the lakeside for breakfast. I did indulge my inner wild-man by using the bug-swarmed outdoor shower (little more than a worn shower curtain and a dirty shower mat, in a wooden shelter) before we left. I don't know if I was cleaner, but I felt cleaner.

    After breakfast and a quick wash of dishes in the Lake (only Porridge oats and water, so no dirtying the pristine waters) we set off. Before hitting some blissfully flat trails, we had to cross a valley, which meant two steep peaks and drops back to back. With the sun beating down, the swear was running and we were both being pursued by clouds of flies, as we conquered both peaks at the best pace that we could manage.

    After that, we stopped for lunch and cold drinks, plus a quick sink-wash, before bumping into a fellow (but former) Welsh man, who hailed from Bangor. We had a chat before setting off on what should have been an easy flat 40km. Unfortunately, after about 10km we caught sight of lightning on the horizon, along our route. After some indecision, we decided the best thing would be to hide out in the local pub (the first we have seen) and possibly wait out the storm.

    That proved to be a very smart idea, as the storm quickly approached and crossed over us. Torrential rain swept in and lightning followed, striking frequently and even hitting the ground across the street from the pub at one point - causing a power outage and cutting off out phone signals.

    So, with that weather front continuing to Loom, we opted to book into a hostel flown the street. We lost the chance to cover more distance, but gained a safe shelter and the chance to wash our clothes.
    Read more