Satellite
  • Day 17

    D17 England - RHS Wisley

    July 21, 2019 in England ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Due to chance meeting a few days ago with one of Anthony’s ex-colleagues, we were very kindly offered a lift from Woking to the RHS Wisley Gardens. Because the family live right in the village attached to the gardens, it was easy to get in - but not before they fed and watered us with coffee and generous mounds of fresh pastries! I’m talking ballpark 18 varied croissants....for 5 people. Yes, it was a highlight of Anthony’s day.

    For the next 6 hours we made our way around the gardens, and even then we felt like we had pushed ourselves. I myself have never seen such a beautiful display of so many species of plants - ever. It seems unfair, as we’re coming from such a harsh climate, to compare the two, but it is evident that the British take such enthusiastic pride in their public gardens.

    I followed Anthony’s lead today as this used to be his turf - he worked in the plant centre doing a traineeship for a year in his early twenties, and has retained several friendships with people still in the garden industry. But despite him knowing The layout so well, he was unfamiliar more often than he expected due to significant growth and physical change in the gardens layout. His old workplace, for example, was completely derelict in addition to a few other areas that were operating a decade ago. A tree that was planted at the time (Wollemi Pine) and was so excited to see has also gone. But with disappointments came so much surprise and pleasure - I mean, the Summer palate in itself was stunning (Salvias, Astilbe, Penstemon, Echinacea, Eryngium, Echinops, Ligularia, Hydrangeas, Alliums,
    Lathyrus, and Lavandula). Meadows, orchards and allotments, and gardens with hundreds and hundreds of local and foreign flower species.
    Apparently life is too short for lunch....we assigned a 15 minute break. Places to be, plants to see!

    We got a lift back to Woking and got the train to Waterloo Station, and then to Paddington. Our hotel is just a 5 minute stroll towards Hyde Park, which is ace, but that’s pretty much when the positivity in my tone will end.
    The room, while relatively clean and tidy, is small. Lets just say you happen to have an Anthony sized ruler (which I so have on my person) and lay it from wall to wall....it would fit perfectly. But we’re just here to sleep...we’re just here to sleep...we’re just here to sleep...

    We went to a local pub for dinner and Ant enjoyed his first roast in the UK, whilst my body was screaming at me to go light. I ordered a salad, naturally. With a side of fried calamari, to share of course.
    Read more