Satellite
  • Day 28

    D28 - TMB Auberge LaBoerne to Auberge MB

    August 1, 2019 in Switzerland ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    TOP 3 Highlights:

    1. L'Aiguillette des Posettes - We knew that today was going to go up, down, up, down, but we never anticipated how much we would love today’s walk. L’Aiguillette des Posettes was the second peak that we have summited by foot on this trip, and as promised by some friendly Americans we met at La Boerne, the views were fantastic. To make it even better, there was a mountainside full of wild blueberries to keep our energy levels up along the way!

    2. Lost - after Col du Balme, we followed the sign towards a trail and began along it. After traversing a very dicey snow patch that would have sent us flying 40m down the side of the mountain had we slipped, I noted to Kate that we hadn’t seen many TMBers for some time. We carried on, also noting an alternative route with some hikers on it below us. After an hour or two of lovely walking just above the tree line with distant views down the valley towards or destination, we started curving our way around the mountain in the opposite direction. We stopped, checked the maps, and realised we’d been on the wrong trail for hours. We backtracked to the last junction we’d seen and headed down an overgrown and underused zig zag track that hugged a very sharp spine. After not too long, we pushed through waist deep grass to connect up with our intended route. What a lovely detour...

    3. Fondue - we passed up on an opportunity for Raclette at the beginning of our hike and so tonight when we were presented with the choice of pork/rice or a massive bowl of melted cheese and bits to dip in it, we said yes.
    ...
    It was entertaining, but one communal vat of bubbling cheese for a table of 6 people to be ladled over boiled potatoes was not what we were expecting. Let the cheese sweats begin.

    *Bonus* - Turns out there is a bloke staying here that has been carrying his bagpipes around TMB and during dessert we all got a quick performance! The Scottish couple we had been chatting to beside us were loving it- so would you Mum. Anthony covered his ears...

    Oh, and today Kate’s stick broke. Sad moment.

    Happy Swiss National Day!
    Read more