Satellite
  • Day 15

    Prehistoric Beauties

    June 13, 2015 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    The Dingle Peninsula. All day I was waiting to figure out the joke, or at least why it's called that. But it remains a mystery. A beautiful, coastal, prehistoric mystery.

    Our day began with a quick stop off the highway at Bunratty castle. I was looking for a breakfast, and I found one across the street in a beautiful gift shop cafeteria. Smoked salmon and perfectly poached eggs with crispy capers.

    The drive down to the peninsula was intense. I'd love to relax and enjoy the sheep pastures dotting the mountainsides, but I'm completely focused on not slamming into the scenic bank of flowers growing into the road on my left, while a tour bus careens toward me, encroaching into my lane from the right.

    I managed to sleep 11.5 hours last night, which felt amazing. But the rolling roads almost rock me back to sleep.

    A walk along the windy, Irish beach rather reminds me of California, except for the bleating of sheep from all sides.

    The prehistoric and historic Irish architechture dotting the coasts are really entrancing. The ocean seems to turn the stones black along the coast, and yet remains clear and beautiful, crashing directly beneath Dunbeg Fort. I was impressed that it dated back to 500 BC, until we stopped at the Beehive Huts, which dated to 2000 BC. Aside from the sheep, who lead an idyllic coastal life, we had the place to ourselves.

    A coastal destination seemed the perfect place to sample the ubiquitous fish and chips, which I did, which were great. And follwed by salt flavored ice cream, made by drying the very salt of the sea of Dingle Bay.
    Read more