Satellite
  • Day 5

    Hvammstangi Cottages

    March 23, 2016 in Iceland ⋅ ☀️ 1 °C

    I slept about 12 hours last night. It was glorious. Then started the day with a traditional Iclandic breakfast (so they say) in downtown Reykjavik at the Loki Cafe (Loki, the Norse god, the trickster). I had Icelandic Plate 3, consisting of trout and eggs on rye, pickled herring on hard boiled egges on rye, and rye bread ice cream. And some more strong coffee. Fish and ice cream are not my usual breakfast, but it was hearty and tasty - though the pickled herring was pretty strong.

    After picking up our rental car we headed out of town to two of the lesser known waterfalls, Hraunfossar and Barnafoss. Barnafoss means Children's Falls, and is named after two local children who are believed to have died there crossing a stone arch over the rushing river. They since knocked the stone arch down to prevent such opportunities again.

    The drive is gorgeous going northward. The clouds sat low over the valley. At one point we were driving through one. Ponies and sheep are grazing everywhere. We are traveling highway 1, the Ring Road.

    It's winter, and close to the Easter holiday, where many Iclanders travel. It's not alwways easy to predict what is in season, and what will be open. The highly recommended craft store was closed for the season. The famous farmer`s markets were no where to be found. We are undeterred. We had some tastey seafood at Sjavaborg - Tuna, Prawns, and lobster. I've also been sampling the favored national snack of licorice dipped in chocolate. While not usually a licorice fan, the bit I picked up is quite good.

    For the trip I've purchased a fabulous National Geographic map of the Island. It indicated there was a light house and a hot spring a few miles north of the city. Driving up the unpaved road in our 4WD, we easily located the light house. The fjord was instantly so foggy it seemed an absolute neccessity. The hot spring, however, was no where to be found.

    We remain undeterred. The town swimming pool was open, and fed from geothermal springs. We relaxed the night away there, waiting to see if the Aurora would peek out. No such luck yet. But Jennifer and I have made a deal. I will handle all the tricky driving. And in return she will get up nightly to check for the aurora, and wake me if it's out. A mutually satisfying negotiation.

    We are currently tucked away in a cosy cottage outside of town, and I am retiring to the top bunk.
    Read more