Satellite
  • Day 46

    Sevilla oranges

    November 14, 2015 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We bookended our stay in Sevilla with paella, returning to La Paella Sevilla with my family before we caught our bus back to Malaga. Lucky me, they had vegetarian paella when we went back.

    In between our two paella sessions, we ate a lot of mandarin oranges. Our favourite stall at the Mercado de Feria was selling them for 2€ for 2 kilos and though we could get mandarins for the same price elsewhere, the mandarins at this particular stall were exceptionally sweet and juicy. We bought 2 kilos as part of the breakfast we brought over to my family when they arrived. We ended up buying them 5 kilos more… then 2 kilos more…

    I didn’t eat out with my family very much but I did join them at the Bodega Mateo Ruiz across from the Airbnb apartment where we were staying. The bodega was a family run local joint, a true Spanish experience. There was absolutely nothing vegan on the tapas menu painted on ceramic and posted on the wall. The only vegetarian option - the asparagus tortilla - was no longer availability due to lack of popularity. Everything available was laced in garlic and doused with olive oil. My family loved it. They stood at the bar alongside the local clientele and happily chowed down their tapas and soaked it all in.
    Read more