Satellite
  • Day 28

    Faroe Islands - Part 1

    July 31, 2017 in Faroe Islands ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Tórshavn Faroe Islands
    Weather - blah! Misty rain on and off 15°C
    Distance - 300km

    After about 30 hours crossing the North Atlantic (remarkably smooth too), we arrived at Tórshavn, possibly one of the world's smallest capitals, at about 11pm. This is where the fun started...tried to type in the address of our hotel into the GPS and guess what!! No maps for Faroe Islands!! And... my phone wouldn't pick up any reception either. So there we were, armed with a tourist map of Tórshavn, in the middle of the night, trying to read signs of street names that must be required to have a minimum of 10 letters per name and are impossible to pronounce in English, and not even sure what street we were in, in the first place. By this time Brad was getting a bit antsy (...no, not a bit, read VERY antsy). We eventually found our way after asking some random people who were wandering the streets in the middle of the night. Then, the hotel room (which is fine), could not get further away if it tried and down a couple of flights of stairs and no lift, so when it's nearly midnight and struggling with heavy luggage, our stay on the Faroe Islands was not of too a good start.

    In the morning, a heavy misty fog had rolled in and could not see very far so the Faroes were failing to impress us yet. However, we started to explore, and this place is AMAZING!! I have never seen countryside like this. Brilliant green grass covered mountains, waterfalls everywhere, plenty of rocks but NO trees anywhere (except a few in the villages). We travelled out to the north eastern islands today which meant travelling under the sea through a sea tunnel and through several long tunnels, some of which are only single lane tunnels with areas to drive into if you met oncoming traffic. These roads were pretty freaky. The villages are so idyllic, the scenery fantastic, this place is beautiful. Unfortunately, the heavy misty fog rolled in again so we couldn't appreciate fully some of the areas we went to, so we called it a day and hoped the weather would be better tomorrow.
    Read more