Satellite
  • Day 34

    Iceland - Day 4 - Reykjavik

    August 6, 2017 in Iceland ⋅ 🌧 11 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - South West Iceland - the Capital Reykjavik
    Weather - fine, max 18°C
    Distance - 200km
    Steps - 15250 or 9.7km and 16 storeys

    Today we visited the capital of Iceland - Reykjavik. We were really only interested in visiting a couple of sights and decided to go on a whale watching cruise. The cruise was abit of a fizzer - did see a couple of minke whales which the guide became overly enthusiastic about - but we had a nice chat to an American couple that made the time quite pleasant.

    When we came back we walked to the cathedral - met up with a girl from Sydney who was travelling solo, about to embark on an Intrepid tour of Iceland. She was horrified at how expensive Iceland is (citing $50 for a lobster sandwich - and she is not far wrong). Anyway, the cathedral is pretty impressive from the outside. We could not go in because there was a concert going on. Finally we took a photo of the boat sculpture and made our way to the night's accommodation. We were supposed to go to the Blue Lagoon but as we had not booked a ticket we decided to give this a miss. Our accommodation was at a horse stud and we got the photos of Icelandic ponies but did not go for a ride (Brad is not so keen on horses)
    Read more