Satellite
  • Day 69

    Pyrennes

    September 10, 2017 in France ⋅ ☁️ 14 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - The Pyrennes National Park
    Weather - overcast

    We spent a couple of days travelling through the Pyrennes - some narrow, winding roads as we travel up into the snow line, through mountain passes. It was all quite exciting really.

    We really didn't go anywhere in particular, just visited some of the little villages nestled high in the mountains. We stayed in one of these villages overnight where the church bells rang every hour (fortunately they stopped at about 9pm - starting again at 7am). You begin to wonder what the people do in these little villages?

    One mountain pass rose to around 2400m and near the top there was a man shouting instructions to his dog who was busy rounding up sheep. Look closely at one of the snow pictures. There were also crazy people riding pushbikes up. Indeed, this is one of the notorious mountain passes that frequently is used in the Tour de France. Not my idea of fun.

    After the Pyrennes our intention was to travel along the French Riviera (Monaco, Nice etc.) and then into Italy to Florence, Venice etc., however the thought of negotiating our way through city traffic is just too stressful that we have changed our minds and are now going to go through Switzerland. Besides, we figured the Italian cities and French Riviera could be picked up on a cruise ( now that sounds like a good excuse to go on another cruise, doesn't it)
    Read more