Satellite
  • Day 14

    Magnificent Dubrovnik

    April 27, 2018 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    A great day, perfect weather-wise and a bit of fun had today. The cruise ship docked about 4km our of the main "old town" area and we had a tour up the cable car, then buggy riding, then a stroll around the fortified town.

    Great views from the top and the buggy riding was a bit of an adventure. Trouble was it was very dirty and we all returned covered in a fine red dust. (Ahhh! My white shorts had only just come back from the laundry and they were filthy again). As well as that, I did my usual trick of falling over, loose gravel on a slope, and scraped my arm and cut my hand as I grabbed a thorny shrub on the way down. Nothing more serious hurt.... except my pride. Brad just shakes his head at me - not very sympathetic, is he! At least I got to have a drive as well.

    Back down in the old town it struck me as very clean, no litter, no graffiti and yet it was only around 25 years ago that this area was involved in war as the former Yugoslavia was breaking down into the smaller nations like Croatia, Bosnia, Slovakia, Slovinia etc. There are the usual souvenir shops etc. Also lots of cats wandering the streets. We will be visiting Dubrovnik again next week so we will walk the walls and explore the town then.
    Read more