Satellite
  • Day 41

    Moscow by Night

    May 24, 2018 in Russia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Arrived in Moscow in the afternoon and had a bit of a panoramic drive around the city... but I will cover Moscow by day in the next blog.

    We chose to do an optional tour of Moscow by Night including the Metro. Moscow's metro stations are a tourist attraction in itself. Many of them around the city circle are highly decorated with statues, mosaics, stained glass, chandeliers and other decorations - pretty easy to explore too as you get on at one station, ride for one stop, get off, explore and repeat. The trains arrive about every minute and is probably the best way of getting around in the city as the road traffic is horrible and quite chaotic.

    We left the Metro and walked to the famous Red Square which is bordered on all sides by The Kremlin, St Basil's Basilica , GUM department store, and a rather nice looking building which I think is a museum (but I will have to look that up) The road to the Red Square - St Nicholas St - has a canopy of fairy lights all hanging down and gave the area a twinkling wonderland look. The GUM department store was outlined in lights and St Basil's was lit up as well - an extraordinary building. I know the photos won't do it justice but you get the idea.

    This tour was definitely a highlight even though it was a late night, arriving back around midnight. Even better, the weather was mild and clear with not a cloud in the sky.
    Read more