Satellite
  • Day 3

    Dubbo-Gilgandra-Coonabarabran

    July 31, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    Stayed overnight at a great caravan park in Dubbo, had a meal at the local "bowlo" and very impressed with the super friendly country hospitality we have experienced everywhere we went. Visitors to Dubbo usually attend its most famous tourist attraction - The Taronga Western Plains Zoo - but not us as we have been to the zoo many years ago. Instead we went to the Old Dubbo Gaol which was really interesting and a very well done display.

    Heading towards Coonabarabran, we stopped for lunch at Gilgandra near the visitors centre. We poked our head into the visitors centre and discovered an extensive display on the Gilgandra Cooee March - something I had vaguely heard of but didn't know much about it. In 1915 the idea was for a group of young men march from Gilgandra to Sydney, recruiting others for the war effort along the way. They started with 30 men and about 250 men arrived in Sydney. Can you imagine something like that happening today? Didn't actually take any photos of the Cooee March though.

    The plan was to do some sightseeing around the Warrumbungles however we arrived a bit too late in the afternoon and decided to do that exploration in the morning. It's been great just taking our time and making new plans as we go. Countryside in this area is very, very dry - desperately in need of rain. Not much stock around either, in fact the largest mob we saw was a mob of emus at an emu farm. I've never seen so many emus in one spot.
    Read more