Satellite
  • Day 7

    Caves and Ostriches

    September 29, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Left Cape Town heading for the town of Oudtshoorn which used to be the ostrich capital of the world. The country changed from rather dramatic very rocky mountains, to very dry areas. However, when we arrived we were staying at a boutique resort...our suite actually had 2 bedrooms, a foyer, huge bathroom.. very, very nice.

    Dinner was included and ostrich was on the menu. Looks like steak and it was very tender. Tastes more like a red meat than poultry. Breakfast the next morning was excellent too.

    Left Oudtshoorn to visit the Congo Caves which was ok but not really any different to any other caves, and headed to an ostrich farm to learn about these creatures. Just as we arrived a sudden dust storm engulfed us and the temperature dropped dramatically and started to shower. Anyway, we were able to fit in the tour without getting too wet.

    Interesting facts about ostriches.
    Their eyes are bigger than their brain
    They have been known to eat the entire washing off the line
    Males have the black feathers, females are more grey
    One hundred years ago, 1 ounce of ostrich feathers was equal to 1 ounce of gold.
    The leather is very durable, 2nd to kangaroo would you believe. It is rather unusual with the little bumps where the feathers were and is also very expensive - an ostrich leather belt would set you back over $100.

    Rained most of the way down to Knysna which is a pity as there would have been some nice views coming through the mountain passes. Staying at a nice hotel right on the waterfront.
    Read more