Satellite
  • Day 9

    Monkeyland

    October 1, 2019 in South Africa ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    We journeyed from Knysna towards Port Elizabeth visiting first Plettenburg Bay for a scenic view, then onto Monkeyland. Monkeyland is a monkey sanctuary where monkeys from other parts of the world as well as Africa are given sanctuary and learn how to be monkeys again. They may have come from private zoos, ex laboratories etc and lived much of their life in cages.

    We wandered around the sanctuary in a natural forest surround and it was amazing how close we could get to the monkeys. There were lemurs, capuchin, squirrel and spider monkeys plus a couple of others that I cannot remember the names. Some lemurs and spider monkeys had babies clinging to their mothers. The lemurs are sun worshippers and look just like King Julian in the kids movie Madagascar. Some monkeys are very naughty and you had to be careful they didn't try to steal anything from you. Apparently they are true kleptomaniacs.

    Leaving Monkeyland we came across a troop of baboons wandering across the road. Baboons are kept away from mixing with the monkeys because they would just kill the smaller animals.

    We drove past the world's tallest bungee jump (bridge) and watched a couple of people jump of a perfectly good bridge worth an elastic band around their ankles.

    Finally arrived at Port Elizabeth which has a beautiful bay but unfortunately the city is impoverished, has high unemployment and the main city centre is deteriorating. Anyway, the hotel is good and we have a very early start in the morning to fly to Kruger.
    Read more