Satellite
  • Day 30

    Cappadocia

    June 3, 2022 in Turkey ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Drove to Cappadocia and spent 3 nights in the Splendid Cave Hotel. Unusual accommodation with the rooms dug into the side of a cliff. They always felt cool and perhaps slightly damp, while the walls continuously shed bits so that the floor was gritty. It was novel but certainly wouldn't want to live in a cave.

    Next morning (early) was probably the highlight of the trip - Hot Air Balloon flight over Cappadocia. Up at 4am, out to the balloons at 5am and the flight at 5.30am for an hour. When I say balloons, I don't mean 4 or 5, there are about 120 hot air balloons - quite a spectacle. We had a lovely morning floating over the peculiar landscape and even landed the basket back on the trailer. Highly recommended. We were lucky too, because the next day flights were cancelled due to a dust storm.

    We explored the Open Air Museum where monks and nuns lived in their cave monasteries/nunneries as well as several churches with intriguing names like Apple, snake, sandal and buckle Church. All identified by particular frescos within each church (no photos allowed)

    Wandered through Love Valley with its...ahem... rock structures known as fairy chimneys (which is probably a nicer name to what we are all thinking). We enjoyed lunch prepared for us by a local lady in her cave house. The meal was great and she was a delight. We also visited an underground city where early Christians hid. Then there were the trips to local artisans (the rug shop and the pottery place). Both had fabulous items but as they are all handmade, they have serious prices.

    This is the final entry in this blog as from Cappadocia we flew back to Istanbul and then back to Brisbane (we have arrived home). Travel in the covid era was successful although it has added another layer to travel organisation. There seem to be more forms that need to be completed before they let you on the plane, but it is evident that restrictions are easing, especially across Europe. Here's to future travel - next stop, Japan in November.
    Read more