Satellite
  • Day 8

    Onwards over Roger's Pass!

    July 30, 2017 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Oh the fun is just beginning! What a week with the Bartol's! Ollie and I slept under the stars last night, in the open air of the Rockies. We woke up with the sun warming our cheeks through the mesh in the tent. A couple of hours later we were on the road heading west on highway 1, over Roger's pass. We stopped at the interpretive center with the big howitzers they use to set off avalanches pointing skyward. A little further on down the road we strolled and skipped through a forest of five hundred year old Cedars. These Giants were just seedlings when Colombus was sailing to America and they have been patiently growing ever since. As the sign said, they were there when Da Vinci was painting and Shakespeare was writing. A construction worker named Mike let Ollie and Toby drill a few screws into a board of the walkway. A couple of hours later we stopped again at the Enchanted Forest. Years ago someone had started making figurines of fairy tale characters out of concrete and it has since become an amusement park in the woods. The boys had a great time running into the house of Goldilocks' bears, the old lady's shoe, hanging out with Winnie the Pooh and skipping up the yellow brick road. The three little pigs each had a house. There was a pirate ship, a rabbit hole, and more.
    We left with two wooden swords, licorice, and a bag of popcorn. As we cruised along the shoreline of Lake Okanagan we started to get hungry. When we arrived at our Summerland destination, we went out for dinner at Zia's. They had a backyard for kids to play in. What an amazing idea! Everyone ate too much and then we ordered dessert!
    Read more