Satellite
  • Day 18

    Florianopolis

    April 20, 2017 in Brazil ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    Having now experienced long distance, overnight bus travel in Brazil we have learnt the following:

    1. All buses come with at least one crazy old Portuguese lady.

    2. There is a reason why the seats behind the reserved over 60's seats are free (refer to point 1).

    3. Sleeping on overnight sleeper buses is difficult (for me, Simon will sleep anywhere).

    But we survived the 6 hour bus journey to São Paulo and then the 12 hour bus journey to Florianopolis where we will stay for the next few days. Another beach town however there are some nice hikes and city spots to visit.

    The forecast for today was rain so we did what any Brit would do and put on jeans and a rain coat and headed to the bus station. Typically when we got off the bus in town the sun came out and we looked like the daft overdressed tourists sweating profusely!

    We carried on though and pottered around the centre, visiting the historic market (Mercado Publico) and a very pretty museum, Museu Historico de Santa Catarina, which was formerly the colonial governor's palace.

    We then headed to the iconic bridge of Florianopolis which is undergoing some serious repairs so didn't quite live up to our expectations.

    Fingers crossed the sun will be out again tomorrow so we can find a nearby beach where Simon can give surfing a go!
    Read more