Satellite
  • Day 29

    Buenos Aires

    May 1, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Our coach to Buenos Aires was luxurious in comparison to our Brazilian coach travel. The seats are double the size, you get given a pillow and a blanket, as well as a hot (well warm) dinner, breakfast and snacks. You can also watch movies, the majority are in Spanish but you can watch them all the same.

    After arriving in Buenos Aires we grabbed an uber to our airbnb apartment. It's nice to have some space to ourselves after spending the last month in hostels.

    Like England, Argentina also have a bank holiday on the first Monday in May, National Worker Day. This holiday is taken very seriously and therefore pretty much everywhere shuts for the day, even many restaurants and cafes. Because of this, Buenos Aires was a ghost town! It was very strange.

    On the Monday we did a free walking tour of the Recoleta area. Our guide Juan Cruz was very knowledgeable and we learnt a lot about the city. When walking around the city it is hard not to notice the varied architecture. You can find Parisian style mansions next to ugly 70's tower blocks, next to neo-gothic buildings. Our tour finished outside the Recoleta cemetery. This is where famous Argentinians are laid to rest in large, ornate mausoleums. It is like a small city for the dead with rows and rows of little churches. It was fascinating and eerie all at the same time and nothing like we have ever experienced before.

    In the evening we went to see La Bomba de Tiempo, a 17 piece improvisational drum group which were amazing! In addition to the drums they have shakers, maracas and at one point a trumpet.
    Read more