Satellite
  • Day 42

    Day 5 - Santiago

    May 14, 2017 in Chile ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    It was our last day in Santiago and the weather was a bit pants so we decided to have a lazy day. Simon wanted to try and find a new blade for his razor as he managed to break it the second time he used it, so we headed over to the mall. It was however a very unsuccessful trip and we returned empty handed. Simon is going to attempt to find a barbers in San Pedro but failing that he will be going for the traditional traveller look!

    After the mall we grabbed some bits for lunch as well as some supplies for our 24 hour bus journey and then pottered around the hostel.

    Around 4pm the rain stopped and the sun came out so we ventured out to the Bellavista neighbourhood to Cerro San Cristóbal (San Cristóbal Hill). At the top there is a 22m statue of the Virgin Mary but what you really go up there for is the view out over the city. We had been warned by various people that it wasn't really worth it if the weather is bad as you won't be able to see anything. But despite the usual fog that covers Santiago, the sky was relatively clear so we figured it was worth a shot. For just over £3 each you can get the funicular up and back which we opted for over the 45 minute walk (I think Simon's words were 'I'm not going if you make me walk up'. It is also quite fun to get the funicular.

    It turns out that we timed our visit perfectly. By the time we got up there the sun was setting and we had the most incredible views out over Santiago and the mountains.

    We are both big fans of Santiago!
    Read more