Satellite
  • Day 61

    Copacabana

    June 2, 2017 in Bolivia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    The bus picked us up from our hostel at 7:30am to take us to our next stop Copacabana. Copacabana sits on Lake Titicaca, the highest navigable lake in the world and is a relatively short journey from La Paz of only around 4.5 hours.

    To get over to Copacabana you have to cross a section of the lake, bus and all, however there wasn't the usual ferry waiting for us. We were all told to get off the bus and get the passenger boat across to meet the bus on the other side. Meanwhile, the bus drivers drove the bus on to what could only be considered a raft and got out 2 giant poles and started pushing themselves off across the lake. It looked liked they were going to punt the bus all the way across however it turned out the raft did have a little engine to help them.

    After around another hour the boat dropped us in Copacabana and we set off in search of our hostel which just so happened to be up a big hill! It was totally worth the trek though. Our room is huge with a private bathroom and also a little kitchen and you get great view over the lake. They also have a hot tub which you can use so we will have to try that out at some point before we leave. The hostel also has 3 pet alpacas, a mummy, daddy and baby alpaca which are very sweet.

    We made ourselves some lunch and then lounged in the garden in hammocks for a couple of hours before heading into the main town to explore and grab some supplies. Copacabana is very small so it didn't take us very long. We therefore had no choice but to come back and resume chill time in the garden.

    There is a restaurant in the hostel so we ate dinner there. I tried some of the famous Lake Titicaca trout which was pretty delicious. It is lovely and warm in the day when the sun is shining but bloomin freezing in the evenings so we headed back to our room and lit a fire (yes we also have a fire in our room) and cracked open a bottle of wine. It wasn't the Argentinian Malbec we have become accustomed too but it did the job.
    Read more