Satellite
  • Day 84

    Day 2 - Lima

    June 25, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    We had a lazy morning before venturing to the supermarket (they have real ones in Lima!) to grab some bits for breakfast. The plan was to do a walking tour of Downtown Lima in the morning however it wasn't until we got to the meeting place that we (ok maybe that was my fault) realised they don't go on Sundays - school boy!

    We were right by Kennedy Park which is the famous cat park so we had a mooch around there. The cats are street cats however they are fed and watered and even have there own vet. They are also meant to be incredibly friendly so for those blessed without allergies they are up for cuddles.

    We then headed off in the direction of Huaca Pucllana, some pre Inca ruins. It's very bizarre to find some ruins smack bang in the middle of the city. Before they realised that perhaps they should protect their heritage, the ruins were covered in mud and locals clambered all over them. The city has therefore literally been built up around them. Huaca Pucllana is a pyramid made of adobe but not a pyramid in the Egyptian sense as Huaca Pucllana is not hollow. It served as a ceremonial and administrative centre between the years of 200 and 700 AD. They know it was a ceremonial centre as they found considerable numbers of women's bodies as they were the lucky ones to be sacrificed. They also found a few tombs in which they found mummified remains.

    For lunch we headed to La Lucha, a sandwich place recommended by Sally and Corin. I have never seen Simon Thatcher as happy as when he was tucking into his delicious sandwich. I'd like to say we have a photo but there wasn't any time for that as we devoured it so quickly.

    In the afternoon we went to Museo Larco, a pre Columbia art museum. It was really interesting and it's absolutely amazing how well preserved all of the ceramics are. In the museum there is also a storage room where they keep everything that isn't on display and there are just cabinets on cabinets of the various pottery.

    In the evening the plan was to go and see the nearby fountains which have a light show in the evening which is apparently very impressive however we got chatting to Corin and lost track of the time.
    Read more