Satellite
  • Day 98

    Nabua Lodge

    July 9, 2017 in Fiji ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    Fiji is very Christian so Sundays are traditionally a day of rest. There were therefore no activities planned on White Sandy except for a church service in the morning so we had a lazy morning chatting to Valerie and Luig, a Belgian couple that have had the same itinerary as us so we have been together from the beginning of our trip.

    The boat arrived around midday to take us to our next island, Nabua Lodge. From the moment we stepped off the boat we knew it was going to be a lot nicer here. All I wanted was a bathroom that didn't smell like a public toilet and we got that and so much more. The room is huge and very clean. We get electricity 3 times a day and we even have hot water and a sink! At first it didn't look like we had a bathroom at all but then the lady opened the wardrobe and revealed our secret ensuite. It's like Narnia! We feel so much more comfortable here. We spent 2 days on White Sandy with another couple from the UK and they have also moved across to Nabua so there is a little gang of us now which is really nice.

    After lunch we pottered around taking photos until it was time for afternoon tea. A few minutes down the beach there is a small lodge where they serve afternoon tea and cake for $6 so we tucked into an enormous slice of chocolate cake which was delicious!

    We then spent the rest of the afternoon chilling. Simon befriended a little ginger kitten who fell asleep on his lap for ages until we realised that he had fleas and was evicted!

    For dinner we had our first meal without rice since we arrived on the islands. They love rice and serve it with every meal! Today however we had mashed potato and battered fish. It was cold but a much welcomed change from white rice. Sundays are apparently international night so we all had to sing the national anthem from our home country. There were 6 people from the UK so fortunately we didn't have to sing it by ourselves. Two of them did make a sneaky exit though so it was down to the remaining 4 to sing God Save the Queen in our best voices. There were also people representing the US, Australia, Denmark, Germany, France, Switzerland and of course Fiji. We thing we did learn is that ours is by far the shortest. The Fijans, never passing up the opportunity to play a game, played a game which involved flipping two coins and guessing whether they were going to be heads or tails. The winner got a free beer! Simons eyes lit up at this point and he was determined to win. He did and thoroughly enjoyed his free can of Fiji Gold.
    Read more