Satellite
  • Day 102

    Day 2 - Auckland

    July 13, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    After a nice lie in from our long day of travelling we woke up to a table of goodies including toast and peanut butter, a little jar of yogurt with nuts/seeds on top and fresh coffee. It was very fancy!

    As we were staying practically half way up Mt Eden we thought that as it was dry we'd walk up to the top. The views from the top were awesome although it was super windy. I think any small child would have been blown away! After snapping up some 360 degree goodness we made our way down to Mt Eden village for a wander around the shops. It very much reminded us of North Street except the nik nak shops were full of new and exciting tat that we'd never seen before. It's a good job there is no space in our bags otherwise Blake would have been buying it all.

    We popped back to our Airbnb and good timing it was too as it started raining pretty bad. We decided it was best to make some sandwiches and headed to Auckland museum for the afternoon. Like our first week in Rio, the lovely bus driver honked his horn at us when we started walking in the wrong direction and directed us to the museum. When we got there we didn't realise how big it would be. Over the 3 story's there were various different sections including Maori culture, WWII, New Zealand flora and fauna as well as a special world wildlife photography exhibition. One of the finalists was from Bristol who had taken a picture of a fox in Bristol which was pretty cool. The Maori section was really good and we got to see some beautiful carvings as well as a huge canoe that could fit 100 people!

    After a few hours of walking we were exhausted and made our way back home via the supermarket where we got some bits for a veggie chilli.
    Read more