Satellite
  • Day 143

    Oamaru - Akaroa

    August 23, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    Our water was low and the waste pretty full as we hadn't been to a dump station the previous day so after breakfast we decided to go to the local swimming pool for a wash. For $5 each we had a nice sit in the jacuzzi for 15 minutes and a normal sized unlimited hot water shower.

    We then made our way to the Steampunk HQ which is another one I'd been pretty looking forward to. The lady explained that steampunk is a futuristic idea of what life could have been like if electricity had never been invented and everything still rain on steam power. It is often based around 19th century Victorian England which is why it fits in so well in Oamaru. To me it's just cool stuff made of junk but I love it! We were also told to look out for a couple of interactive bits, in particular a time portal in the second room. This steam punk collection also revolved a little around a skull theme which with the low light light was actually pretty trippy. Especially when you think the other person is behind you only to spin round and see one of these things staring at you.

    The first interactive piece was a pipe organ however each key was a different sound bite of music, voices or noises. It definitely kept us entertained for much longer than it should have. In the second room, we made our way to the time portal. This was a small mirrored room which had hundreds of lights hanging from the ceiling. Once you pressed the red button we were mesmerised by a 2 and a half minute light and music show. It was so incredible that when it stopped we instantly pressed the button so that we could watch it again. Blake could have quite happily stayed in there all day! Out in the yard were some bigger pieces. A giant tricycle made mostly from an old tractor was one of my favourites along with a fisherman sat on top the roof.

    We then decided to make our way up towards Christchurch as we want to spend a few days there before heading back down for the rugby in Dunedin. The weather looks great for the next couple of days so we have decided to head to Banks Peninsula first which is on the coast behind Christchurch. Here they have some good walks and wildlife cruises that we may check out in the morning.
    Read more