Satellite
  • Day 162

    Day 12 - Melbourne

    September 11, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    A lazy day of recovering from a boozy weekend and washing clothes was top of the agenda today followed closely by some more planning. We have now booked our flights to Cairns on Wednesday and have a hostel booked there for 4 days (back to slumming it). We also signed up to the WWOOFing (willing workers on organic farms) app which allows us to do voluntary work for people in return for food and accommodation. We thought this could, if required, save us some money and be something different to experience. So far we have applied to work at an organic farm and a yoga and meditation retreat so watch this space.

    On the family Christmas trip front we also successfully booked our Melbourne leg but Gold Coast and Sydney are proving a bit more difficult as the time of year means the prices sky rocket!

    As we hadn't left the house all day we decided to go out for dinner and experience our first Pho (Pho for those that haven't had it is meat, noodles and veg in a broth almost similar to a ramen but Vietnamese style). Victoria Street in Richmond is renowned for its many Vietnamese restaurants and was only 5 minutes up the road from Maddy's house. We sat down, ordered and were brought out three giant bowls which looked delicious. This is when it all went down hill for me. I decided to spice mine up a bit with some chilli. This little mishap meant my broth was now like a hot spicy lava every time it touched my lips. Next, on an attempt to cut some of the giant meat in my bowl on the back of my spoon with a fork (in hein sight a terrible idea anyways) I slipped launching broth all down my clean jeans and Blakes shoulder, with no idea as to where the meat actually went. After searching my lap, the floor, behind us, our coats and hoods we concluded it must have made its way back into the bowl. Blake and Maddy, both in stitches, managed to eat and enjoy theirs quite respectfully whilst I left hungry, wet and disappointed.
    Read more