Satellite
  • Day 184

    Whitsundays

    October 3, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    We have booked a 2 day, 2 night sailing adventure around the Whitsundays. Expecting rain, we woke up to glorious sunshine which was perfect for our catamaran adventure. We weren't boarding the boat until 1pm so after checking out we dropped off our luggage at the office and headed to Maccy D's for some breakfast. It's BYO (the boat not Maccas) so after brekkie we headed to the bottle shop to stock up on supplies.

    Our home for the next couple of nights is called Wings 3 which accommodates 31 people. Shortly after boarding the boat we were shown to our rooms which are certainly cosy! Si and I didn't luck out with a double and instead are in bunks that are fitted into one of the hulls. After being shown to our rooms it didn't take everyone long to slip into their bikinis and make their way out to the front of the boat for some sunbathing. Our first stop was a couple of hours away for some snorkelling. Stinger (jellyfish) season is nearly upon us so we all had to wear wetsuits whilst we snorkelled. The water was really murky though so the snorkelling was a bit pants. Apparently Cyclone Debbie damaged quite a bit of the Reef. We also had a little accident with the go pro when Simon jumped in to the sea only to realise that the door on the side was open. It is now sitting in a pot of rice in an attempt to dry it out.

    After the snorkelling, we were back on the boat for some tea, cake and some more sunbathing. Not long later we were given some steak pies and sausage rolls, and then before we knew it it was dinner time. I don't think we are going to go hungry on this trip.

    After dinner, the crew gave us a bit of an overview on where we had been and what we would be doing over the next couple of days, as well as the kind of animals / fish that we may see. We then spent the rest of the evening having a couple of beers and chatting to other people on the boat.
    Read more