Satellite
  • Day 223

    Day 6 - Auntie Tricia and Shane's

    November 11, 2017 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    We were all up early as we were heading off to Thunderbird Park to do the Canyon Flyer. The Canyon Flyer consists of 7 zip lines that traverse the Cedar Creek Canyon and Tricia has booked Debbie, Simon and I on to do it. After we were kitted out with our gear we headed over to the first zip line in a huge 4x4 covered in camouflage tarp. Despite the driver reversing into a tree (now we know why they put the safety gear on us before getting in the 4x4) and a very bumpy ride through the forest, we made it to the first zip line. We had a quick practice on a small zip line first and then we were immediately on to the fastest of all the zip lines! Go big or go home! We then worked our way across the remaining 6 zip lines. Just before our final one, our instructors gathered us all together for a group photo. The got us to hold on to a rope around the tree and lean back over the edge and say bungee. Just as we said it they released the slack in the rope and we all fell a little bit. Turns out she wasn't taking a photo at all and instead a slow motion video. We were all strapped in so were perfectly safe but the video is pretty hilarious as we were all absolutely terrified! It took a good 5 minutes for my heart to slow back down. After that trust exercise, we were then hooked up to a quick release rope for the last zip line which the instructor had control over. She left us hanging over the edge for what felt like forever before releasing the rope and sending us off over the Canyon. We had a lot of fun and we got some great views out over the Canyon.

    After a well earned cup of coffee, we headed to Eagle Heights to check out a German Cuckoo Clock shop. It was a cute little shop with hundreds of Cuckoo clocks of various shapes and sizes. We could have stayed in there for hours watching them as they struck the hour.

    After a very adrenaline filled morning we were starving so we headed back to Tricia and Shane's for some lunch. Tricia and Shane live on a turf farm where Shane works so after lunch Shane took Simon out to see the Firefly. The Firefly is the huge machine that cuts the grass into strips, then drags it up on to a belt for the operator to quickly inspect before placing it on a pallet by an automatic arm, all in the space of about 10 seconds. Simon even got to go out for a ride in it and see it in action which was pretty cool.

    Whilst Simon was out cutting grass, I helped Tricia make a Mexican dip and potato bake for dinner to go with our T-bone steaks. The Mexican dip is delicious so I am definitely going to be taking that recipe home!
    Read more