Satellite
  • Day 281

    Day 6 - Randwick

    January 8, 2018 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    It's not as hot as yesterday but it's still extremely hot and muggy so we decided to head back down to Coogee Beach for a lazy afternoon. We decided against lying on the beach and instead sat up on the grass again in the shade. I know its our last day in Australia and of our 9 month adventure but we have achieved and experienced so many incredible things, it was nice to spend our last day relaxing in the sunshine, next to the beach with a good book before we return to the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

    Around 4pm, there was a huge clap of thunder and the heavens opened! I think it must be the worlds way of preparing us for our return to England. We didn't fancy walking back in the rain so we caught the bus back up the hill to our apartment.

    As it's our final night we decided to treat ourselves and go out for dinner. We had imagined a nice meal on a rooftop by the beach but that idea was washed away with the rain. Not letting the rain dampen our spirits we decided upon a Lebanese place not far from the apartment so we could run there if we needed to. It was BYO as well so we stopped off at the bottle shop and picked up a bottle of Pinot Noir on the way. We started off with a trio of dips which were absolutely delicious but for my main I made a little (ok maybe a big) faux par. I went for courgette stuffed with herbs and rice in a tomato sauce. In my head this sounded absolutely delicious and I was thinking of a lovely roasted courgette in a chunky tomatoey sauce. What I got however was a real life snozcumber! Simons face when they brought it out to me was an absolute picture! It was one very sorry looking boiled, peeled courgette floating around in a watery tomato soup. It tasted pretty bland as well. Hey ho, nothing that half a bottle of wine can't fix and it made us laugh. Simon went for the beef stew with rice which was a flavour sensation in comparison and tasted pretty good.

    Despite the snozcumbers, it was still a lovely way to end our 9 month adventure.
    Read more