Satellite
  • Day 5

    Bangkok - Ao Nang

    December 6, 2018 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 24 °C

    Having set yet another ridiculously early alarm due to our flight this morning we were up, packed and out in a taxi by 6.30am. We were flying to Krabi today so that we could stay a night on the sea front of Ao Nang before our trip to see elephants in Khao Sok National Park.

    Having landed in Krabi we made our way over to the meter taxi rank where 2 taxis flatly refused to use the meter and wanted to charge us far too much to get to Ao Nang. As this wasn’t our first rodeo we walked away and tried to find another option like a bus. Unfortunately without waiting over an hour for a bus which would mean having to still get a taxi the other end we had no option but to get the meter taxi with a fixed price. We are pretty sure he radioed to all his fellow taxi friends so no one else would pick us up too. We managed to haggle him down, much to his dislike, although we were still ripped off. When you stop and realise you are haggling over £2.50, sometimes it’s just easier to go with it.

    We eventually got to our hotel which didn’t have a room ready for us so we upgraded to a deluxe room for free. The deluxe room came with a sofa and balcony which at the time didn’t seam like much of an upgrade but we thanked them for it anyways. After a wash and changing into beach attire we headed out to find some lunch. After lunch we headed down to the beach for a sunbathe until we felt the rain starting to spit. Being true Brits we stayed there until all of a sudden it was torrential.

    It went off again and we made it down for another hour or so on the beach and in the sea, which was surprisingly warm, until then it down poured on and off all afternoon. We opted for beers and cards on the balcony!

    In the evening we found a lovely family run Thai restaurant for some yummy but ‘Thai hot’ cuisine.
    Read more