Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Trip to Glasgow

    September 28, 2016 in Scotland ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    It started to rain as we left the Craigmillar Castle, a fitting last day in Scotland to make up for all the good weather we have enjoyed. Went South to catch the city bypass to minimize the potential for traffic in the city. Driving to the castle first was good to get Peter back into the swing of driving again before hitting the 4-lane motorway to Glasgow. As we swung around the West side of town, we noticed wide strips up the side of a low mountain/tall hill. Turned out to be a year around ski slope [ https://www.midlothian.gov.uk/info/200281/snows…] ! Not sure what the surface was made of, but probably more slippery if wet.

    Peter had to drive through some pretty nasty construction on the way over in the rain, but over all, the trip took just about 1.3 hrs. A bit of confusion on how to get off the M8 motorway, but GPS brought us finally back to the hotel. Lucky for us, the room was ready at the hotel and we were able to off load the bags before finding gas and returning the car. We were happy to turn in the car, now letting the taxi in the morning do the driving.

    The guy who checked us in was very nice and when Peter found the key to last night's room still in his pocket, the Eurocar counter clerk found us an envelop and stamps so we could mail it back to Kingsley B&B. One more thing checked off of our departure list. Walked back to the hotel for a cup of tea and to repack for the two bottles of scotch we are allowed to bring back.
    Read more