Satellite
  • Day 37

    Day 35 - The Devil's Throat

    February 1, 2019 in Argentina ⋅ ☀️ 95 °F

    Made arrangements for a tour for today and tomorrow then took the small, narrow-guage, open-air train to the station at the upper Falls. This placed us on the plateau above the falls where the river flows to the lips of the different cataracts.

    We walked the 3/4 of a mile walkway over the swiftly flowing river to the viewing platform next to the Devil's Throat cataract, the biggest of them. The walkway was full of visitors and the viewing platform pretty packed. The immense volume of water thunders over the lip and drops into the narrow gorge 270 feet below. The water pours down with so much force that the bottom is obscured in the mist thrown up by its fall. We took pics and a video before retracing our path to the shore. I p the s yr ed the video on my Facebook page (Septerisk-fb Brong).

    We waited in the shade and had some cold drinks. Temp was already 97. We took a rubber boat trip along one of the quieter channels away from the edge along with15 others and listened as our guide discussed the geology, animals, and ecology of the area. We saw only a few birds and flowers since it was midday and the smarter animals were resting in the shade (not us dumb humans). Walked back to the hotel to cool off. Later, had a couple drinks and a sandwich in the bar area while we watched the sun go down and the falls grow dark.
    Read more