Satellite
  • Day 3

    First week in Japan part 1

    March 26, 2017 in Japan ⋅ ⛅ 1 °C

    Since the last post we enjoyed visiting the square Enix cafe (creators of final fantasy and Kingdom hearts games for those who don't know) where we had Final Fantasy themed cocktails and desserts. We then were so sleepy from not sleeping on the plane we had to go to bed.

    The next day we went to Hakone, the plan here was to use the ropeway to go up to Owakudani - an area on a volcano where the sulphurous gases can be seen and they are famous for cooking eggs in the hot volcano heated streams. Unfortunately part of the ropeway was closed meaning we had to travel to the other side of Hakone to get to Owakudani, and then once we were up there due to gas build up they stopped running the ropeway back down so we had to queue for a long time for a bus back down. Although we enjoyed Owakudani this meant we didn't have time to do anything else in hakone before we had to head to near Mt Fuji for our hotel.

    We woke up the following morning to find snow outside! We were supposed to be going to Fuji Q Highland, but due to the weather nearly all rides were closed. We instead went to Lake Kawaguchi for the morning and had a hot chocolate in a cafe overlooking the lake. We then did go to Fuji Q Highland for a little while, Tom really enjoyed the Evangelion World experience (based on a Japanese cartoon) and we rode the ferris wheel but nearly everything else was closed. We were disappointed to not get to view Mt Fuji or enjoy rollercoasters but it was lovely seeing the snow.
    Read more