Satellite
  • Day 34

    Last day down under

    November 28, 2006 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 63 °F

    We got a late start out of Russell but took our time heading to Auckland. We stopped at Jesters and had pies. They are quite popular here, pies, that is. They are like chicken pot pies, but better, and more variety. We had the mushroom, spinach and feta cheese. It was the consistency of custard on the inside, a little different than I expected. Of course, we had to try the desserts too. I had the apple, blueberry custard pie. Yum. Very flakey too.

    We found a parking spot near the quay and started doing our last minute shopping. To our surprise, we ran right into a Christmas parade. Floats, bands, clowns, and marchers wound around the corners of the city, and spectators were 5 people deep. About 20 kids were standing on top of the police car, and another 30 people were clinging to the roof and sides of the parked firetruck. And they were allowed to be there! We caught glimpses of the parade, as we shopped, and were taken by their passion for the upcoming holiday. I thought America was bad, but these people are hardcore Christmas fanatics.

    We finished shopping and made our way to the rental car drop-off. I was not too sad to be done driving on the left side of the road; although I am apprehensive about driving to work tomorrow. I'm sure I'll be a road hazard for a few weeks again, until I get those nasty left hand driving rules out of my head.

    I was held up at security, where they confiscated my didgeridoos. Now, I have had these for almost four weeks, which means I've flown with them internationally and within Australia. Suddenly, they are not allowed in the plane because they could be used as a weapon. Now I admit I can't play them, but I'm not that bad! No, they advised that these wooden musical instruments could be used as a blunt weapon to hit someone. The good news is, I didn't swear. The bad news is, they had to be left in Auckland because the friendly staff of Air New Zealand was not so helpful in retrieving them for me. A letter to the company is pending, after I simmer down. Supposedly, I will be able to get them back, somehow.

    The flight to LA was horrible, and I got no sleep. Between the insomnia and the baby crying, I managed about four hours total, in 20 minute increments. We nearly missed our plane in LA, due to the d-doo issue, but arrived safely in Denver, just 30 minutes late. Before getting home, I had to eat some Mexican food. A month is the longest I've gone without Mexican food and it was hard. I dropped my bags at the door, went to bed, and will post my Top 10's tomorrow night!
    Read more