Satellite
  • Day 10

    From West, to South, and North to London

    October 14, 2012 in England ⋅ 🌙 43 °F

    We've had a long day of travel, interspersed with prehistory and food. We got out of Glastonbury a little late, which meant we were behind schedule before we even started. Tossing care aside, we drove to Stonehenge to take in the prehistoric site. Although Avebury, where we visited a few days ago, is 16 times larger, Stonehenge is more imposing because of its size and remains. It is the only rock circle that still has "lintels" or horizontal stones spanning the tops of the rocks standing vertically. The stones used here are also larger than the remaining ones at Avebury. Of course no one really knows what Stonehenge was for, but it is a perfect calendar, keeping track of the days and months of the year with great accuracy.

    In a race to get the car rental returned on time, we hit the gas and pointed the car to the east. We quickly popped into Lewes to grab our bags from Amy's house, as well as the two dogs. Actually the dogs invited themselves, getting into the car while the doors were open. They are so sweet, we couldn't ask them to stay home. The five of us drove south to Brighton, did a few circles (and that's WITH the GPS), finally arriving at our destination. We were a little late but they were gracious and didn't charge us another day's fee.

    We had a wonder lunch at a local French place, before departing from the train station. We hugged, kissed, and bid farewell to Amy and the dogs, whose bus was leaving shortly. It was wonderful to spend time with her, so we were sad to be leaving. I think we could have easily spent a month in Lewes, entertained every day by the simplest things. However, it was not to be on this trip. Instead, Kim and I boarded the train north to Victoria Station, where we will be spending a day in London tomorrow. It's a short visit to a huge city. We'll see the requisite sites and travel up to Manchester for the next, and final, chapter of our trip: the Lake District.
    Read more