Satellite
  • Day 26

    Lazy (& not so lazy) Days

    June 11, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    There wasn't much to be said for the town on the edge, but we did emerge reinvigorated and significantly less smelly. It was really nice to have wifi after the best part of a week with no signal, and we put it to good use pulling down the new series of Peaky Blinders.

    The morning was spent mooching at the campsite for as long as possible then we headed to Cades Cove, back in the park. The piggly road took some time but the primitive campsite at the end of it was amazing.

    As luck would have it, Saturday morning is one of the 2 days they ban cars from the loop road so an early start (the first alarm of our trip!) provided us with a couple of peaceful hours biking around the meadow roads without those noisy Harleys/trucks.

    We then decided a little hike was in order, so 7 grueling hours later we made it back to the campsite! We had somehow managed to do another 1000m up AND back down again. A obligatory dousing in the local river and a lazy evening rounded off the day. We'd racked up over 49k steps, which is definitely a record. Even our 'rest' day was 13k and it makes you realise how sedentary life is behind a desk.
    Enjoyed the firefly display next to our campsite in the evening.
    Read more