Satellite
  • Day 183

    Adios USA

    November 15, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    I thought I'd do a quick write up of our amazing tour of the US of A. It's hard to believe it's been 6 months since we left NJ, but at the same time it feels like we've been on the road for ages as we've seen so much.

    We often get asked our favourite state, but that's almost an impossible question as we've had so many incredible experiences. The most surprising (to us, and to those who ask) is Texas. We weren't expecting much of the largest lower 48 state, but we found it had the biggest variation in scenery, from coast, to swamp, to dessert, to mountains. It had a great state park system (as do many southern states who have to work harder to attract visitors). We were almost stuck without somewhere to stay for the 4th of July weekend and were forced to drive miles through the desert to a SP right on the Mexican border (we even went through border security check points to get there), but found it an amazing place where you could imagine ancient people living and it had fantastic rock art.

    Most of all we've loved the mountains, and the Rockies in particular blew us away. The big peaks in Colorado were hugely impressive but it was really jagged and scary looking mountains of Wyoming and Montana that we most enjoyed. The National Parks of Glacier and Tetons were definitely top of the list (followed closely by Yosemite), but the shear scale of everything out there is hard to describe. There are bucket loads of public lands and things are so well set up to enjoy it that sometimes the areas outside the parks were more enjoyable.

    The Oregon coast was incredible - all public with great camping - although we were both ill and it was a bit foggy which took the shine off it a little, but we've both realised we are really mountain people as there's so much more to explore when up high, and the views can be just breathtaking.

    Over the past couple of months we've stayed with lots of friends and relatives (thanks again to those reading this) and that was a really nice change of lifestyle for a few days that kept our batteries fully recharged, not to mention the TV that we downloaded on their WiFi :)

    I think we are leaving at just the right time, with Trumpton just getting into full swing and before the wall goes up! I'm already planning where we shall go when we inevitably return stateside, but bring on Central America!
    Read more