Satellite
  • Day 207

    All Saints

    December 9, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    After a couple of restless nights we were delighted when Pedro started to sleep through the night. We moved on down to Todos Santos (All Saints) and found a surf beach to spend the night. Pedro took his first proper walk along the beach and, promptly slept for the rest of the day because of it! We went to pull away to get some supplies (aka cold beer) and found ourselves stuck in the soft sand, but fortunately one of the dudes camping nearby was a 4x4 instructor so he helped us out.

    We had an amazing burger at Shut Up Franks (don't ask me) and as we got into the van we heard a shout from down the street from George, a guy we'd shared that wierd night with up in Loretto. He had a heavy replacement clutch so we gave him a lift back to his sleepy little RV park and figured we might as well spend the night. We spent the evening shooting the breeze with Frieda next door and George, and the next day doing little jobs around the van. That evening we cycled into town and got another shout, this time Jacob & Chris who we hung out with up at the beach weeks ago, and inevitably ended up in several bars around town. It's really nice to be on more of a traveller circuit than there is in the US and to keep bumping into friends.

    In the morning they popped round to meet Pedro and afterwards we continued our journey south. We ate in an incredible restaurant they recommended which was surrounded by lush gardens where they grow all their own produce. We didn't make it very far and found an almost deserted beach, and the couple camping on the far side bought us an enormous fillet of Amber Jack that they had spear gunned earlier and it was delicious cooked on an open fire. It wasn't that long ago that I would avoid fish like the plague, as I would coffee - travel really does broaden the horizons.

    We were woken by the sound of dozens of rays jumping a metre plus out of the water and belly flopping onto the water, then a pod of whales meandered through the bay. Needless to say the sun is shining - this really is what life is all about.
    Read more