Satellite
  • Day 212

    RIP Pedro - A Life Too Short

    December 14, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    So we are devastated that Pedrito didn't make it. He was doing OK at the hostel, albeit a little subdued, and so we drove the half an hour to Cabo San Lucas where we found a tiny little beach nestled two brand new massive resorts that were going up - in fact this coast will just be one long hotel sprawl before too long. Pedro didn't want to eat or drink much, and had lost his verve for life.

    In the morning we took him to the vet who ran the triple test of common diseases, which all came back negative. We got his favourite food, and when he shunned this we started to worry. We had to inject electrolyte fluid into him using a small syringe and he really didn't enjoy that. The doc asked us to come back the next day so we found another little beach with a bit more around, and were over the moon when he suddenly smelled my fish & chips, and wolfed down a fair bit. The place we choose to kip was a popular place with the locals, and we even got serenaded at 5am, so on top of the worry for Pedro we weren't in the best of shape.

    In the morning he refused all food and drink again so back to the vets again, who suggested he stayed in overnight so they could properly observe him and make sure he had everything he needed. We cruised down the coast a bit further to get somewhere more peaceful and found a lovely deserted stretch of shoreline and spent the day sunbathing, swimming and worrying.

    In the morning we headed back to the vets and were heartbroken when she told us he had died that morning. He had hepatitis passed down from his mother and as his immune system was so weak he didn't really stand a chance.

    What hurt the most is he'd recovered from this desperate little bundle into a proper puppy, leaping around the place and attacking anything he could, so for him to deteriorate so quickly was awful to take. We were already imagining how much he was going to enjoy the volunteer trekking in Guatemala and how the orphanage kids were going to love him. Unsurpringly we were in a bit of a state and wondered around in a daze trying to make sense of it all.
    Read more