Satellite
  • Day 216

    To Cabo Pulmo & Beyond

    December 18, 2016 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    So we collected up our broken hearts and got out of the big bad city. We couldn't face any company so we found a deserted beach, lit a fire and drowned our sorrows. I went for a run on miles of beautiful coastline, but somehow managed not to enjoy it at all.

    We then drove on to our planned destination, which was a popular spot on the iOverlander app. There were loads of rigs there - maybe as many as 50, with most of them there semi-permanently, escaping the Canadian winter. It was a nice spot in the marine park, but we couldn't really muster up much enthusiasm for anything so just mooched about. The next day we drove the other side of the headland but were buffeted by some strong winds so we decided to cut our losses and finish off the incredibly painful, dusty, rutted dirt road in search of civilisation.

    Civilisation we found in Los Barriles (The Barrels - don't ask me why), and we found a reasonable camp spot in an arroyo (dry river bed) just on the edge of town. This place is a mecca for wind and kite surfers, and although we've done a bit of the former we weren't nearly hard-core enough for this crowd. The town was overly yankifed for us too, with the cheap taqueria (taco stalls) replaced with gringo restaurants so we only stayed the night.

    We decided to head back to our favourite spot at the bottom end of Baja Sur, namely Todos Santos.
    Read more