Satellite
  • Day 244

    1 Tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila, Floor!

    January 15, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    We rolled into Tequila and hunted out the Sauza Distillery for a tour. For the non-tequila drinkers this is one of the biggest brands, and the factory was a huge industrial process churning out gallons of the stuff. There was many, many tastings and driving definitively wasn't a good idea so we found a little hotel nearby.

    We had a lovely rustic pizza then mosied over to a little grunge bar where a famous cocktail had been invented. To our amazement it was full of Brits (we've only met one other group in 3 months)! There were a bunch from Leeds who run some Tequila bars back home so were here on a fact finding mission. Even more incredibly later on Guillermo Sauza, head of one the most Tequila families (along with me Jose Cuervo of course), turned up and invited us around his distillery the next day! The night continued on and got progressively messier as various bottles were emptied.

    Surprisingly the next morning we didn't feel too bad (considering) and we headed over to Mr Sauza's boutique Fortaleza distillery. We got an amazing tour of the artisan distillery, where everything is done by hand and couldn't be more different from the mass produced stuff the day before. The end product they turn out is amazing stuff, and anyone who has been put off by slammers of the cheap stuff should definitely try a neat shot of Fortaleza. Interestingly the connoisseurs drink the blanco, straight from the distillation process, and not the aged stuff that you assume is better but completely changes the taste.

    We had a lot of fun in Tequila - maybe a little too much - and decided it would be dangerous to hang around too long!
    Read more