Satellite
  • Day 271

    A Church A Day Keeps The Devil Away

    February 11, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 20 °C

    Hurrah - we finally managed to leave Teotihuacan (after over a week!) & headed for Cholula. This is an interesting town which was an important spiritual place for the pre-hispanic indigenous people & there are layers of different pyramids which they've excavated. Sadly this was also the site of a massacre of the indigenous population by the Spanish & they either utilized the materials from lots of the 'pagan' temples to build churches, or simply built on top of them. Supposedly there is a church for every day of the year, although fortunately we only saw a tiny fraction of them.

    Two volcanos, one if which is currently smoking,
    tower over the very elaborate church perched attop a huge pyramid (bigger then the eygption pyramids) does make it a spectacular city.

    We took it in turns to see the pyramids as no dogs allowed - but Phil was happy as he got to sit in a bar watching England vs Wales in the rugby. We were then delighted to find Pakistani restaurant run by a Sri Lanka who used to live in London! Excellent curry and even pakora & naan, the owner also sold us some good tea which he gets imported. So not only a day of culture & history but rugby & a cuzza as well :) This country is still surprising us!
    Read more