Satellite
  • Day 316

    Adios México. Te Amo!

    March 28, 2017 in Mexico ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    We came into Mexico a bit apprehensive and thought we would continue at a similar pace to the US, so we would be through and into Guatemala in 6 or 7 weeks, yet here we are nearly 4.5 months later!

    We loved the Baja California for its deserted beaches and dry dessert climate. I'll never forget my birthday where I spotted a large fin from my hammock strung across our palapa (palm shelter), and our friend Andre whisked us out in his small boat so I could chase whale sharks without a tour boat in sight.

    The journey across to the mainland was way better than we were led to believe, and immediately the hot and humid climate hit us. We spent more time on fantastic beaches, but also half our time up high in the mountains. We climbed volcanoes, soaked in hot pools, saw millions of mating butterflies, and swam in incredible lakes and rivers.

    We visited dozens of pre-hispanic archeological sites, some of which are so awe inspiring they barely seem possible. Teotihuacan and the structures smack in the middle of Mexico City were just amazing, huge cities with massive pyramids and tens of thousands of inhabitants. Monte Alban is one most people have never heard of but it's 360 degree vistas over 3 surrounding valleys made it a truly special place, and Palenque embedded deeply in the rainforest with a howler monkey soundtrack was just awesome.

    The climate has been incredible, with the only real day of rain coming in the rainforest. Down by the beaches it's stinkingly hot but generally with a nice breeze, and up high its hot in the day with a cool night.

    What makes the country so really special is the people. Even though most of them don't have much by our standards they are happy people and are so friendly & just genuinely want to help you out. As a foreigner you are not treated as a walking cash machine or as some sort of alien, and we've met so many amazing people, both locals and travelers alike.

    We've been surprised how much we love this country, and we're now planning on coming back this way before we head home, and maybe even keep the van somewhere so we can explore more in the future.
    Read more