Satellite
  • Day 467

    Back on the Road (aka Beach) Again :)

    August 26, 2017 in Nicaragua ⋅ ⛅ 30 °C

    After spending the night at a lovely place in Managua we picked up our paperwork without any bother, and then headed south to near Masaya, where we'd been 3 months previously. After negotiating a fairly hairy road we found another fantastic place to stop, complete with swimming pool overlooking a crater lake and the glow of a volcano in the background.

    When we'd filled up with petrol after leaving León the guy had brimmed it, resulting in petrol spilling all over the forecourt. We decided we'd best get this looked at before we headed into pricey Costa Rica, and I spent 2 hours under the van with several mechanics trying to get to fuel pump cap to sit tightly. It amazing how such a simple things can take hours, but we got it sorted although our fuel gauge is still stuck at full, but I wasn't going to ask them to take it off again!

    We drove a couple of hours on down to the coast, arriving just as a stunning sunset was bathing a glorious long white sand bay, and pulled up just by the side of the beach for the night. No facilities here so nothing else for it but to wash the grease off with an evening dip, followed by a mucho tasty fish tacos at the little shack down the road.

    It was amazing to wake up to the sound of waves (no air raid sirens here!) and have breakfast on the beach. I definitely feel super happy about about being back on the road again. We moved to a little official camp site and had a lazy day exploring the beach, including bathing in a lovely rock pool which occasionally got topped up by a big wave. In the evening we wandered over to the nice hotel on the outcrop between the bays and watched the big fight.

    The next day we walked a couple of miles down to the beach to meet Josh, Chantel & Maya's friend MK. We haven't seen them since Mexico where we spent a couple of weeks with them and it was really nice to catch up over a lazy lunch, before we had to head off to beat high tide when the rising estuary would cut us off.

    This section of the coast is unbelievable - probably the nicest since the Baja California which blew our minds at times. As much as we loved volunteering, it's so nice to be away from the humidity of León, back to a tranquilo lifestyle and chilling on the beach. Unfortunately our visa expires tomorrow so we can't hang around for as long as we would have liked.
    Read more