Satellite
  • Day 43

    Laos - The Bolaven Plateau Loop - day 3

    December 16, 2015 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ -10 °C

    The next day i woke up feeling run down and had a cold. It was also raining so i didnt get to see the last waterfall. I waited until around 1pm hoping for the rain to stop and left for Paksong which was about 50km away. I also still had to find petrol! I had to ask a few people but luckily i found fule at a small village not too far away. I also passed an old lady smoking what looked like a fat cigar rolled with a banana leaf, she was waving an smilling as i drove passed. I didnt feel well enough to stop at any waterfalls plus it was really cold and i had no warm clothes, so i headed straight for Paksong. Just before i reached the town i passed a huge coffee plantation so i stopped at the next cafe and tried a coffee. It was really tasty! I asked a few people where i could find a guesthouse but know one could understand me and didnt want to help. I stopped at 3 different guesthouses which were all closed, then finally around 4pm i found one. The woman was really moody and i wasnt in the best of moods either, so i dropped off my stuff and went out to find some hot food as i was so cold. The only thing i could find was... Soup! But it was really yummy and no meat! The lady gave me lots of different spiced and sauces to add to it which made it even better. I added aload of chillie in hope to shift this cold!
    Sometime you get a craving for something back home and for some reason, though I'm in a place far from the western world I was craving jelly sweets! So on the way back to my room I checked in every little store and found nothing :( then the last one was selling what I assume we're smoothies or some sort of sweet drink and there was a pot of jelly sweets on the side 🤗 I asked the lady how much said something in Laos and she put some in a little bag for me.when i tried to pay her she wouldnt take it and didn't charge me anything! Literally made my day. When I got back to the room I ate them all then felt sick!
    I wanted to get an early night but kept getting disturbed by the owner, first to give me a towel, then some tea, then at 10pm they woke me up to tell me i had to move the moped! Annoying!! I finally got off to sleep and hoped the weather would be a bit warmer the following day.
    Read more