Satellite
  • Day 18

    De Ortega to Burgos - 16.2 miles

    October 9, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    Weather app indicated it was 39 F this morning. Another cold snap and hope it warms up more.

    Left in the dark, but with the light of a full moon to guide my way. Crossed three cattle gates and had a very nice walk until I reached an uphill, the only bad one on this part of the Camino, and I was teleported to the moon to walk on moon rocks. Take a look at the first pic and you will understand.

    As I approached Burgos, I had to walk around an airfield in the sun which was ok, but then I walked through a small community on the outskirts, then through a park that would never end. Finally reached the city and no idea where I would stay, but I saw a Camino travel business, walked in and asked for help with accommodations . Very nice man helped me, called a hostel and found a room for two nights. Had some difficulty with his directions, but got here, checked in, cleaned up, headed out for a drug store for ibuprofen and a laundromat. Got it all done and my clothes really smell nice. A very nice Spanish woman helped me with the washing machines and we conversed for a bit. We both spoke broken English and my small amount of Spanish enabled me to do what I needed to do.

    Back at the room, I am enjoying some snacks I got at the mercado and will have dinner later.

    The second pic is of a sheep correll and glad those little guys were penned up in the early am. Also enjoyed coffee twice enrout as well as two pan ah chocolates (I will admit that the French spelling is beyond me at present).

    The third pic is a bridge where I saw several pilgrims soaking their feet. As it had warmed quite a bit from the early am I was tempted, but waited to soak in the shower. Had an apple later in the park.

    Thinking about Grampa Bear as my trail handle so what do you think?

    Oh yes, I've grown tired of the beard as it looks too scraggly so got a razor and shaving cream at the mercado and will get rid of it before visiting the cathedral tomorrow.

    The Camino offers many short courses in life and we just need to be aware to learn from it. Kindness, charity and understanding as well as preservearance, independence and determination. There are many more and as many reasons to walk the Camino as there are Pilgrims wanting to walk it.

    More tomorrow as I need to take a short nap.

    Naps over, I had dinner and noticed the children playing in the park at 1930. Place is quite busy on a work night. Also some graffiti can be quite pretty as the attached suggests.
    Read more