Satellite
  • Day 21

    Hornillos to Castrojeriz - 12.5 miles

    October 12, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 24 °C

    Had a nice breakfast of crosants, toast, jelly and coffee and noticed that my host had an autographed picture of a scene from "The Way" by the film producer on his wall. Nice.

    Left in the dark as it was a one horse town and easy to get out of quickly. Nice and cool, but got warm as the sun rose. I was reminded of one of my favorite songs as I started...On the road again, love to be on the road again...playing music with my friends, etc. Willie Nelson made a good one.

    Have been singing a bit too, well, not too much and only when no one is within 200 yards or so, but Peter, Paul, and Mary is one of my favorite groups... "500 miles" and "where have all the flowers gone" are tunes I can relate to from younger days.

    Terrain was much the same as yesterday and got much closer to the wind turbines that you can see in yesterday's pictures (you need to expand the pictures to see them on the horizon).

    Saw the remains of a field of sun flowers and am reminded of the ones we had this year at home that were consumed by the bears and squirrels. I guess it does rain on the plains of Spain from time to time.

    Another breakfast break at the first community (2 hours away from where I stayed) and love the chocolate pastries. Charged up I continued and ran into Kathy from Australia. We walked the rest of the way and found an albergue in Castrojeriz. Cleaned up and laundry is in the dryer.

    Today is a holiday so most commercial businesses are closed, but the bars are open (wonderful) and a beer for lunch makes me fit in with the locals. Great lunch with a totella and beer. Had quite a group with England, Canada, USA, and Poland walked up as we were finishing. Very nice day to sit outside for lunch and engage in idle chatter. Dinner is next!

    Wonderful group dinner. Three courses..salad, desert, and not sure what I ate for the entree, but it was tasty.

    Done for the day. More manana.
    Read more