Satellite
  • Day 25

    Terradillos to Bercianos- 15 miles

    October 16, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Pretty warm this morning so I left my fleece packed as I thought I would need to take it off shortly anyway.

    It's only rained once since I've been in Europe, and that was just a sprinkle, so rain tomorrow will be a blessing of sorts. Since I leave well before daybreak, my headlamp has been reflecting light off the dust particles floating in the air and I can see them near my eyes so this is really dry. Throat and nasal cavaties are pretty dry. Wildfires are creating issues here as they create issues in the states. Wonder if any have made the national news?

    As I was trying to navigate through a small village in the dark looking for the yellow directional arrows I noticed a group of three women approaching me with packs on. Going in the right direction, I asked. No, was the reply and we all walked back to the intersection to find the arrows. Nice group of elderly Welsh women (I suspect all were in their late 70's or possibly older). Anyway, one was having foot problems and I was chatting with one of the others about what life was like in Wales. Interesting to say the least. We had a break together at a small cafe and I shared half of my huge, but stale, sweet roll with the one having foot issues. We shortly parted ways as I needed to keep moving.

    Saw some interesting sights in addition to the typical Camino scenery - one thing of interest was the meeting of the Camino Madrid with the Francis in Sahagun. Thought there would be a traffic circle or something, but did not see any increase in pilgrim activity nor was there a marker that I could find. Just the map. I will admit that I did not waste my time looking for something that might not exist so I took a couple of pictures of the city gate and the attractive bridge over the river (right now it is barely a creek).

    The day turned out warm, ran across a couple that I had met several days ago, and finished in Bercianos where I was told that there were no washing machines in town (population of 450) so did the barest of necessities to get by. Just hope the stuff dries on the line as it is going to rain early and stuff pinned to my pack is not going to dry.

    I am two days from Leon so with the rain we'll see if walking in the rain is much fun. I know when I walked on the mountain, it was no fun at all so I suspect a similar emotional situation will occur tomorrow.

    Seeing more greenery and with the rain, flowers just might jump out of the ground.

    Buen Camino
    Read more