Satellite
  • Day 25

    Bercianos to Mansilla - 16.7 miles

    October 16, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Once again, I left before breakfast and walked into Bill from Connecticut that is in Europe for about three months. An older gentleman that met a young lady from Holland and has thoughts of walking the Camino again, with her. Well now, let your imagination take you where it will!

    The first pic is obvious but I thought it was kind of different with my headlight illuminating it. Do not understand why it appears on its side as I took it vertical. ..anyway, must be find penguins.

    Ran into the two Frenchmen that I first met at Orisson back on day two (still talking about the snorer that kept all awake that night) at my breakfast break so we are on the same schedule, but that is about to change as I am spending three nights in Leon to rest up, smell many roses, and get my stomach back in shape as I am still not eating as I should.

    Not sure of the fruit in the second picture so perhaps someone can comment. They appear to be a type of pepper and my guess is an abinero pepper (check my spelling on this one).

    The walk was somewhat like yesterday - along the road, but I am getting closer to the end of the Meseta. More greenery and more humidity. That reminds me that this mornings weather forecast called for showers and cool and breezy weather so I got all decked out in my finest rain gear...rain paints and gaters initially, and walked out into the dark. It did sprinkle enough to throw on the poncho and dampen the dirt so every footfall did not result in a cloud of dust, but the downpour did not occur.

    Thought the canal shot was interesting. Reminds me of the LA drain system except this is used to irrigate the fields, and Spain does have a high speed rail system. Had to put my phone camera on speed control to capture this one.

    Met the first two pilgrims from Norway this morning as well. They are walking from Burgos to Leon and we chatted for a bit. They too had heard of Willie Nelson and his song "on the road again ". Saw them in Mansilla at the hostel I was trying to get a room in, but the owner only had a three bed room and she wanted 40 euro so I kept walking. Another was closed for the season and I think the third one I tried was out to lunch so I stopped by the hotel and got a room with a private shower. One thing I will always appreciate from this experience is how nice and comfy my shower is at home. Roomy, all the hot water I want, can take a leasurly shower, and not have to hug the wall to get the water to drip out the shower head on to my head. We are fortunate to enjoy the benefits in and of our country, and the hard work that so many engage in.

    There was mercado in the town square and I visited it to graze and admire all the fruits and veggies available, but the vendors were in the process of loading up so I found a supermercado and got what I wanted (yogurt, apples, apricots and some hand cream - the Meseta really dries things out).

    Also noticed that Spain is increasing the highway system. Not sure why as I seldom see more than a few cars at a time, but I guess they are planning for the future. They should perhaps visit Atlanta, GA and will soon understand what traffic is all about.

    This evening the hotel restaurant is having a pretty good meal from what I can tell from the menu so I will eat there and stay in as the temperature is getting quite chilly.

    Tomorrow, Leon, and some much needed R&R!
    Read more